Understand and Connect with Aroha:
A FREE two-day course for parents, grandparents, whānau and caregivers in Canterbury. This training is NOT intended for professionals.
• This training is over two days, Thursday and Friday 02/03 March.
• The venue is the Clubrooms at the Deaf Society of Canterbury, 80 Fitzgerald Ave, Christchurch
• You'll be required to attend BOTH days.
• It will run from 9.30am to 2.30pm each day.
• Lunch is provided.
What's it about?
This Caregiver Education and Support Course is for those who are caring for someone who is impacted by FASD (or suspected to have FASD).
This is an evidence-based training with the objective to grow knowledge, develop greater resilience, learn strategies and meet others who are also living with FASD in their whānau.
RuruHana Brownie (Ngāpuhi nui tonu, Ngāti Pukenga ki Pakikaikutu) and Anna Gundesen bring their lived experience to these courses alongside being experienced facilitators with a sound knowledge-base of FASD and developmental trauma.
This training has been run very successfully for 18 months in Australia and three times already in Aotearoa in 2022 (in Tamaki Makaurau and Te Tai Tokerau, plus as a 7-week online course).
Here are some comments from attendees:
What was the most valuable part of the training for you?
- "Being in a group of people who understand, and the Facilitator having lived experience."
- "Realising that we as a family unit are not the only ones going through this and that there is light at the end of the tunnel."
- "Knowledge gaining and peer stories."
Some statistics from these courses
92% of participants reporting improved knowledge or skills.
91% of participants reporting that they had a better understanding of how to support their child as a result of their participation.
100% reporting that they developed supportive peer relationships via their participation.
100% reporting improved motivation and confidence as a result of their participation.
Once you’ve hit the Sign Up button, you'll receive a confirmation email with more detailed information about the course, and our Training Administrator will contact you within a few days to help you make the most of this opportunity.
1. By clicking Sign Up you are consenting to receive occasional newsletters from us which you can unsubscribe from at any point.
2. There are limited spaces in this training and priority will be given to members of FASD-CAN. It's free to join, click here.