Understand and Connect with Aroha
A FREE two-day course for grandparents, parents, caregivers and whānau in Rotorua.
Please note: this training is not for professionals working with those impacted by FASD.
* There is a pānui to either print or distribute digitally for this training – click here to download.
Need to know
• This training is over two days, Friday and Saturday 23/24 February 2024.
• The venue is the Rotorua Baptist Church, 100 Malfroy Rd, Rotorua (front lounge)
• You'll be required to attend BOTH days.
• It will run from 9.30am to 2.30pm each day.
• Lunch is provided on both days.
What's it about?
This Caregiver Education and Support Course is for those who are caring for someone who has, or may have FASD.
This is an evidence-based training with the objective to grow knowledge, develop greater resilience, learn strategies and meet others who also have FASD in their whānau.
Our training has been run very successfully in Aotearoa over the last two years in Tāmaki Makaurau/Auckland, Whangarei, Te Whanganui-a-Tara/Wellington, Ōtautahi/Christchurch and Whakatū/Nelson, and twice as a 7-week online course.
FASD-CAN Navigator Ruruhana Brownie and FASD-CAN caregiver support group facilitator Heather Jeffcote bring their lived experience to these courses alongside their sound knowledge-base of FASD and developmental trauma.
Feedback from attendees in Aotearoa
What was the most valuable part of the training for you?
- “The lived experience of facilitators was a huge benefit.”
- “Easy flow, unhurried; exceptional marae; generosity and wellbeing; hauora, mauri ora.”
- “Loved the Aotearoa direction.”
- "Filling my tank and personal sense of belonging through being with others who ‘get it’. This has strengthened my compassion and encouragement for the way forward."
You can click here to read an article about our first caregiver training sessions in 2022, with input from participants and facilitators about what it was like delivering the FASD training which was so empowering for those who took part.
Once you’ve hit the Sign Up button, you'll receive a confirmation email with more detailed information about the course and facilitators, and our Training Administrator, Paige Saxby, will contact you within a few days to help you make the most of this opportunity.
1. By clicking Sign Up you are consenting to receive occasional newsletters from us which you can unsubscribe from at any point.
2. There are limited spaces in this training and priority will be given to members of FASD-CAN. It's free to join, click here.