Understand and Connect with Aroha
A FREE seven-week ONLINE course for parents, grandparents, whānau and caregivers.
Please note: this training is not for professionals working with those impacted by FASD.
What's it about?
This caregiver training will run over seven weeks from 10.30-12pm each Thursday, starting 27 July 2023. It's especially developed to support those who are caring for someone who is impacted by FASD (or suspected to have FASD).
This is an evidence-based training with the objective to grow knowledge, develop greater resilience, learn strategies and meet others who are also living with FASD in their whānau.
RuruHana Brownie (Ngāpuhi nui tonu, Ngāti Pukenga ki Pakikaikutu) and Anna Gundesen bring their lived experience to these courses alongside being experienced facilitators with a sound knowledge-base of FASD and developmental trauma.
This training has been run very successfully for 18 months in Australia and four times already in Aotearoa in 2022 (in Tamaki Makaurau, Te Tai Tokerau, and Pōneke) plus as a 7-week online course.
Feedback from attendees in Aotearoa
What was the most valuable part of the training for you?
- “The lived experience of facilitators was a huge benefit.”
- “Easy flow, unhurried; exceptional marae; generosity and wellbeing; hauora, mauri ora.”
- “Loved the Aotearoa direction.”
- "Filling my tank and personal sense of belonging through being with others who ‘get it’. This has strengthened my compassion and encouragement for the way forward."
You can click here to read an article about our first caregiver training sessions in 2022, with input from participants and also our facilitators about what it was like delivering the FASD training which was so empowering for those who took part.
Statistics from the Australian-based courses
• 92% of participants reporting improved knowledge or skills.
• 91% of participants reporting that they had a better understanding of how to support their child as a result of their participation.
• 100% reporting that they developed supportive peer relationships via their participation.
• 100% reporting improved motivation and confidence as a result of their participation.
Once you’ve hit the Sign Up button, you'll receive a confirmation email with more detailed information about the course, and our Training Administrator will contact you within a few days to help you make the most of this opportunity.
1. By clicking Sign Up you are consenting to receive occasional newsletters from us which you can unsubscribe from at any point.
2. There are limited spaces in this training and priority will be given to members of FASD-CAN. It's free to join, click here.